Affiliation to Badminton Canterbury and Badminton NZ
Badminton Canterbury accepts affiliation from individuals and clubs. You can read more about these two options below.
Affiliation is a registration process of players, and enables a player to compete in all Badminton Canterbury’s events, and also any event sanctioned by Badminton NZ. It is also a requirement for all players who wish to represent Canterbury.
There are two ways Badminton Canterbury accepts affiliation from Players:
- by being a member of one of our affiliated clubs
- if a club is not available for you, you can affiliate direct to Badminton Canterbury
Badminton Canterbury feels there are an array of benefits that come with being registered with a club (and we encourage you to do so) such as:
- Obtaining cheaper court hire at Badminton Hall for private use
- Being able to play in club championship tournaments and other club events
- A sense of belonging and being able to socialise with a group of other keen badminton players
- Potential development opportunities
- Potential coaching opportunities
- Connection to other players who want to enter interclub competitions
- Having voting rights at BC’s Annual General Meeting
We do recognise though, that not all people want to register with a ‘club’ however this poses the problem of being ‘affiliated’ with the association and thus eligible to enter tournaments. As such we have implemented an annual ‘Direct Affiliation Fee’ to Badminton Canterbury: $20 for Juniors / $40 for Seniors
- This does not give you access to club member court rates at BC
- This does not give you voting rights at our AGM’s
- This will mean you are an affiliated member of Badminton Canterbury and are entitled to play in our tournaments. NB. As our entry level events, Thursday night social grade and Shuttle Time Yankee tournaments do not have an affiliation requirement.
- When you enter a tournament you will need to select your club, and if you are not a member of a club you will have the option of paying your one-off affiliation fee through Tournament Software. Alternatively you can do this at any time through our website
- Badminton Canterbury will be checking tournament entries to ensure eligibility and we are provided to provide a list to BNZ of affiliated members for National Tournaments.
- For the current season – those non-affiliated members playing Representative Badminton will need to become affiliated via a club or direct to BC.
To register as an individual with Badminton Canterbury, please complete the form to the right – you will be redirected to PayPal to complete your registration
If you are running a community group, or group of people meeting regularly to play badminton, you may wish to consider becoming an affiliated club.
The benefits of being an affiliated club include:
- Input to how Badminton is run in Canterbury
- Listing on our website
- Referrals for people looking to play Badminton (grow your group)
- Possible funding opportunities
- Voting rights at the BC AGM
- Access to BC support
- Coach development opportunities
- Lower cost court hire at 220 Pages Road for your club and all your members
Our clubs have a diverse range of offering – some are purely social clubs, others have active development squads running. Some don’t have a regular club night, others play two or three times a week. BC has a set of standards to become an affiliated club – some best practice guidelines to ensure clubs are run in a professional way that the public would expect from a club affiliated to a National Sports Organisation. To be an affiliated Club with Badminton Canterbury, please read through the club standards form below and get in touch with us.
Individual Affiliate Direct to BC
Please only use this if you are NOT a member of an affiliated club. You will be redirected to PayPal to complete your registration.