End of Year Awards and Yankee Tournament
Sunday 1st November
Yankee Tournament 1-3pm, followed by Awards 3.30-5pm
This year Badminton Canterbury are looking to hold something a little different and have a fun Yankee Tournament – themed to Halloween, followed by the prize giving upstairs. This is event is for ALL our members – juniors through to masters, social and competitive players.
Dress up for the event is encouraged… there may even be an award for best dressed!
Nominations are also open for our annual awards so please think about this and get your nominations in by Friday 18th October 5pm.
RSVP for the tournament and/or prizegiving is helpful for catering purposes and also so we can pre-enter the players for the tournament. Please email Jo: firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and who will be attending from your family.
About the Awards
At the end of the season all our players together with family and friends, are invited to our annual awards night held at Badminton Hall, 220 Pages Road. Here we celebrate not only our best players, but also recognize those who have made extra contributions to help badminton in the region – be it players, coaches, officials, administrators, or volunteers. The qualifying period is October to September each calendar year. However, any background information may be supplied if it is relevant to the nominee’s performance and achievements.
2020 Awards Afternoon:
Sunday 1st November, 3.30pm
at Badminton Hall Pages Rd.
Finger food will be provided, cash/eftpos bar available
Categories – Candidates may be nominated in one or more categories using the form below. Nominations close Friday 18th October 2020.
Senior Sportsperson of the Year– recognising the achievement/s of the top player who by his/her performance, service and example has performed to a high level and expressed the ideals of fair play and exemplary conduct.
Junior Sportsperson of the Year – recognising the achievement/s of the top junior player, boy or girl, who by his/her performance and example has performed at a high level. Junior is defined as being under the age of 19 years as at 1 October 2020.
Most Improved Senior Player – open to any senior player who has competed in a BC tournament, interclub, or taken part in a BC coached squad during the qualifying period. It is to recognized improvements in players skills and/or attitude. This award may be decided by the coach/selectors if appropriate.
Most Improved Junior Player – open to any junior player who has competed in a BC tournament, or taken part in a BC coached squad during the qualifying period. It is to recognized improvements in players skills and/or attitude. This award may be decided by the coach/selectors if appropriate.
Team of the Year – recognising any age group, club, school or representative team from within the Badminton Canterbury area which has performed to a high standard and shown the ethics of fair play and exemplary conduct.
Coach of the Year* – recognising the outstanding contributions and achievements by a coach (age group, school or representative) during the qualifying period.
Club Coach of the Year – recognising the outstanding contributions and achievements by an individual for coaching provided within an Badminton Canterbury affiliated club during the qualifying period.
Technical Official of the Year* – recognising the outstanding contributions by a court official within the Association during the qualifying period.
Administrator of the Year* – recognising the outstanding contributions by an administrator during the qualifying period.
Volunteer of the Year – this award is open to all individuals who are not paid employees of any Club, Association or National Body.
Outstanding Service to Club Badminton – for an outstanding contribution to a Badminton Canterbury affiliated club within the qualifying period
Service to Badminton Canterbury – this award is for an outstanding contribution to Badminton Canterbury. Open to ALL. This award is to recognise the most significant contribution by an individual during the qualifying period October 2019 – September 2020.
Nominate someone below!
Please ensure you read through the terms and eligibility here:
- All badminton players, coaches, administrators and volunteers are eligible for the awards.
- Qualifying period is October 2019 to September 2020 with nominations closing at 5pm on Friday 18th October 2020.
- There is no restriction on the number of times an award can be won by an individual or team.
- There is no restriction on who may nominate a person/team to any particular category.
- Nominees in categories (a), (b) and (c) must take part in a badminton competition within the Badminton Canterbury geographic area as defined by Badminton NZ, such competition to be recognised and/or supported by Badminton Canterbury.
- Nominees must consent to their personal details being included in the nomination form.
- The judging panel shall be appointed by the Badminton Canterbury Board and may include an independent representative/s.
- Successful nominees will be recognised at the Badminton Canterbury Awards night to be held on Sunday 1st November in the George Miller Room at Badminton Hall
- Successful Nominees in the categories marked * (“Coach of the Year”, “Technical Official of the Year” and “Administrator of the Year”) will be forwarded to Badminton New Zealand as nominees for the Badminton New Zealand Awards in the same categories.
- Nomination forms may be:
- delivered: Badminton Canterbury office (Badminton Hall) or leave in the Results Box if the office is closed
- emailed: email@example.com
- Submitted on this website below
We are not currently taking any nominations. The awards will re-open for nominations in June each year for awards in late October
Senior Sports Person
2020 – Roberto Bray-Descalzo
2019 – William Chen
2018 – Simon Huang
2017 – Jenna Selen & Chris Chen (joint)
Junior Sports Person
2020 – Jack Wang
2019 – Jack Wang
2018 – Jack Wang
2017 – Jenny Zhu
Team of the Year
2020 – Canterbury Under 15 ‘Shadow’
2019 – Canterbury Masters 1
2018 – Canterbury Under 17’s
2017 – Canterbury 1
Volunteer of the Year
2020 – Trevor Ballard
2019 – Anne Wang
2018 – Trevor Ballard
2017 – Doug Edginton
Administrator of the Year
2020 – Jo Christie
2019 – Dawn Canovan
2017 – Kathryn Hiso
Club Coach of the Year
2020 – Charlene Wills (School of Badminton)
Coach of the Year
2020 – Yuko Black
2019 – Manny Collins
2018 – Alfred Wong
2017 – Peter Thomas
Service to Club Badminton
2020 – Dawn Canovan (School of Badminton)
Technical Official of the Year
2020 – Richard Bramley
2019 – not awarded
Most Improved Junior Player
2020 – Fletcher Hall
New Award for 2020
Most Improved Senior Player
2020 – Derek Chow
New Award for 2020
Service to Badminton Canterbury
2020 – Dawn Canovan
2019 – Graham Sercombe
2018 – Julie Rademaker
2017 – Matt Selen