Covid-19 Update:

(as at 10pm 18/03/2020)

Firstly, the health and wellbeing of our badminton community and friends is our top priority.  Please do take some time to read through this email for guidance and information. It’s vital the badminton community adheres to measures of safeguarding, events and self-isolation put in place by the New Zealand Government, and doesn’t contribute to any further spread of COVD- 19. New Zealand has twenty confirmed cases of COVID-19 as at the time of writing this.

Please note: If you have been overseas within the last 14 days and develop a fever, cough or shortness of breath, phone Healthline’s dedicated COVID-19 number 0800 358 5453 or contact your GP, including phoning ahead of your visit.

While we all strive to stay healthy, exercise can be an important part of our well-being and connection with people.  With this in mind, our hall remains open, and there are some events still continuing, however the following rules are in place and must be followed:

  • If you have returned from overseas, no entry to the hall for 14 days
  • If you have been in contact with someone who has returned from overseas, do not enter the hall for 14 days from the date of contact
  • If you have been in contact with someone who is showing symptoms or has a positive test for Covid-19, do not enter the hall for 14 days.
  • Players should observe personal hygiene set by the Ministry of Health.  We also ask players to carry and use their own hand sanitizer.

If you, or someone you are playing with, becomes unwell or shows symptoms while at the hall, please cease your activity, self-isolate and follow the Ministry of Health Guidelines as attached.  Please (confidentially) inform so we are able to communicate with other users of the hall at that time and try to limit any potential spread. Alternatively send us a private message on Facebook.

Our hall is not staffed every day, however when we have staff in the hall, we are increasing the cleaning of common touch surfaces – door handles, computer etc.  It is recommended that players do not shake hands or “high-5” at the end of a game to limit contact – there are other options such as head nod, the yoga “Namaste”, foot tap etc.

Badminton Canterbury Events:

While our events are well under the current government directive to cancel events over 500 people, we have made the decision to cancel the following events:

  • Regional Coaching Day (29/03/2020)
  • Junior End of Term Yankee Shuttletime Tournament (05/04/2020)
  • Mainland Under 19 Teams and individuals (to be held in Otago, 21-24 April)

BC will refund or credit any players who have signed up for these events.  There are currently no plans to cancel the pre-season doubles tournament.

At this stage planning is underway for Interclub and other tournaments, which will go ahead as planned, however this may change as more information becomes available and the situation evolves.  We are aiming to decide events a three to four weeks prior to their start date, and we are guided by the NZ Government, Badminton New Zealand, and the health of our community.  Currently there are no plans to cancel Senior Inter-Association events, or the NZ Junior Team Champs in July (Palmerston North).  This is being actively monitored by Badminton NZ and we will update you if this changes.


Rep Players:

Current team and squad trainings will continue as planned.

The only group operating at the moment is the Juniors on a Monday night.  If a player does not wish to be a part of training sessions already paid for, we will refund the sessions – but we must be informed through before the session. If a player doesn’t show up with no prior notification then the session will be forfeit. This helps our coaches plan their sessions.

Senior Trials at this stage are still scheduled to go ahead this weekend.  Should a player be unable or unwilling to attend trials due to Covid-19 exposure or fears, this will not affect their possible selection.  Again, we ask you to notify the senior convener in advance if you will not be there, as the selectors will be making decisions on the teams promptly after the weekend.



It is up to each club to decide if they are going to continue with their club nights and other planned events or not.  We encourage each club to read the information attached, and to please ask us if there are any questions.  Clubs should take into account how at risk their own members are and anyone home who turns up unwell.  BC is happy to provide whatever support we can to clubs if they are affected by Covid-19.  Clubs will be sent the update provided from Badminton NZ directly tomorrow.


Above all, follow the guidelines given by the NZ Government, they can respond much quicker than we can, and feel free to get in touch with any questions (office (at)