It is with great sadness that we have to record the passing of our patron, George Miller, aged 101.
George’s association with The Canterbury Badminton Association (as it was known) began in 1957 and continued until 2003.
George was one of the main “drivers” behind the construction of the original 4 court Badminton Hall. This construction began in 1959 and was completed almost entirely by volunteer labour, ready for the first inter club game in 1960.
George served as President from 1963 – 68 and the commenced a massive term as treasurer from 1978 – 2000.
From 1970 to 2000 George headed the Umpires Association and trained and examined many umpires. He was Deputy Referee in the 1974 Commonwealth games and controller of linesmen and service judges.
He was made a life member of the CBA in 1970
Recipient of the BNZ Service Award in 1975
Awarded the Long Service Medal by the IBF in 1987
Recipient of the Canterbury/Westland Winter Sports Award in 1992
Patron of BC since the year 2000.
After years of prompting, George produced the “History of Badminton Canterbury” book and it is now that we really appreciate the work he put into this publication. All this history would have otherwise been lost.
Many of us will fondly remember George and his wife Marj behind the courts and later from the upstairs lounge, every Saturday at A grade and Canterbury Champs.
Whilst it has been a few years since we have seen George at the hall, his presence is lived on. No-one will ever give more to our sport than George.
Our sympathy is with his family at this difficult time.